Old January 20th 04, 11:40 PM
Cooperstown.Net

CBC, for example, makes Quirks & Quarks available for download in .ra form.
They happen to make it available in Mp3 and Ogg as well. Of course they don't
want you redistributing this program, but the mere act of encoding in .ra isn't
evidence the content provider doesn't want you to listen on the device of your
choice.

There is quite a bit of .ra on the web that can be streamed but not
downloaded, and I do accept that the content provider doesn't want you storing
that stuff. But I'm pretty sure common law will allow you to record it to your
VCR, let's say, for personal use.

Jerome

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Cooperstown.Net wrote:

And of course the reasons to do this a

1) Real's tight control over its proprietary format
2) An unwillingness to harbor on your PC Real's obnoxious, buggy, maddening

and
intrusive RealOne software.
3) A desire to enjoy the content on the tens of millions of MP3 or MP3/WMA
devices out there that don't support the Real encoding, such as car CD's,
headphone units, DVD players.

But that is the reason why the stuff was encoded with Real in the first
place, to prevent this from being done. Realaudio exists so that the
folks that created the file have control over how it is decoded.

If you don't like it, don't encode with Real.