Old March 7th 04, 04:47 PM
Rich Wood

On 6 Mar 2004 01:52:51 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

Want to send them to a Psych ward? Have an audiologist do a spectrum
analysis on their hearing.....(c;

It had better be a quiet psych ward. An analysis would be futile when
you're dealing with people who believe they need power cables that are
$400 a foot because they make the system sound better.

If you want real proof, look at the back advertising section of
Stereophile magazine and see what's being sold, how much it costs and
what it claims to do. I have an audiophile friend who falls for all of
it. 20 watt mono tube power amps at $20,000 each. I'll bet his system
cost him $100,000 or more and it only has an incredibly expensive
turntable as a source. There isn't a CD within eyeshot.

IBOC will be perfect for those who are content with 64kbps MP3s and
have no live music frame of reference. Look at what the manufacturers
did to AM sections of their radios. I don't think that's where good
quality is going to come from.

The best test is with a very high quality pair of headsets where
you'll hear every artifact up close. I can't even listen to C-Quam
because of the gyrating stereo image. It causes motion sickness
standing still.

Rich