Old March 7th 04, 04:47 PM
David Eduardo

"Rich Wood" wrote in message
On 5 Mar 2004 15:44:46 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

I've heard IBOC. The last thing you want to connect it to is a high
end audio system. It's sort of like buying a Rolls Royce and using it
to haul manure.

I heard IBOC on the almost de facto Kenwood car radio today in Chicago on
all-music WIND. It sounded marvelous, with no noticeable artifacts and
very
nice resolution, clarity and feel on music. It is not FM, which I would
expect as the FM preemphasis curve really colors the high-frequency
content;
in some senses the IBOC AM is nicer than processed FM.

IBOC may sound fine on a car radio in a high ambient noise
environment, but the question was about high end audio.

Actually, it was a car radio in an office. Since there are no availble
tuners, one makes do..
When you have audiophiles refusing to play CDs because they don't
sound as good as vinyl you're not going to find them pleased with IBOC
on either AM or FM.

That I agree with. I refused to use CDs for my Música en Flor service in the
80's, even when many things were reissued in Japan on that medium; the cuts
did not sound right mixed with mostly-vinyl origin material. So I could
definitely understand a purist.

I don't find most conusmers to fall in that definition. Most will see the
"digital" label and _know_ it must be better.