Old March 8th 04, 03:55 PM
Jimmy

"Mark Keith" wrote in message
om...
"aunwin" wrote in message

news:U2w2c.130951$4o.169497@attbi_s52...
No Cecil it is not about transmission lines it is about a parallel

circuit
that radiates.

Where did he mention transmission lines? I thought he was comparing a
1/2 wave dipole to a full wave dipole as far as circuit description...

Most of this group are Americans so they all read a book for
a formula that might fit what we are talking about.

All? I think not, Art...

One trots out a simple formula for the Q of a parallel circuit and yells
Eureeeeeka and they all follow like Lemmings hooking themselves on this
formula that they found in a book.

They did? I guess I missed it...

It is a really simple formula but did
anybody think for themselves?

I can ONLY think for myself. I have failed to master the art of
thinking for others...

Ofcourse
they didn't, its a simple formula so all that is needed is to parrot it

out
and follow people who yell loudly that they know what they are talking
about.

I have no idea what you are talking about...

Roy and Shakespeare started it off years ago,
yes Wes and many others followed suit and Walter, well he said nothing.

I thought Shakespeare was an old fart that lived in England. How did
he join this illustrious grouping of Americans?

Now I ask you Cecil they trot out this formula for Q, it is in books
so they feel safe or it would not be in a book right?

Right?

Now I ask you Cecil if you make an antenna array and you decide that you
require an input Z for this array what other values do you need for this
very simple formula bearing in mind that is a parallel circuit

containing a
capacitor of unknown value a inductance of unknown value and then come

up
with an air of knoweledge.

Why are the values unknown? But even discarding that question, what is
the big deal about designing a parallel circuit? I've done it many,
many times. The formula for Q never even entered my skull. I really
don't even need inductance or cap values. Why? Cuz I'm the wizard of
burdine street....:/ I work from sense of smell. But I'll give you
a hint as it applies to a base fed 10m 1/2 wave vertical. The usual
cap value is appx 50 pf. Didn't need no stinkin formula to come up
with that...Dang...I must surely be cracked to work the way I do...

Isn't it crazy ? On top of all that they use a
formula that is in a book
without determining where it comes from and what it is relevant to and

what
the simple values represent.

I'm curiuous...Who was the American that offered this formula for
parallel circuits? I must have missed it.

Reg saw the problem a long while ago but I
think he looked to the sky, shook his head
and maybe snickered to himself.

I think Reg does that nearly every day. If the wine and
"entertainment" is good, he may even snicker out loud...

I am sure he knows that when
you use a formula you can't pick and choose what you insert in a

formula. If
you are thinking impedance, resistance or whatever
and you have a huge physical circuit that contains yards and yards
of members that radiate as well as connecting to other passive circuits

one
would figure that these radiating members would have an impact on this
simple circuit that was in a book.

What simple circuit? What book?
And right from the beginning none of them
know how long these members are and what diameter and the configuration

is
even tho they keep spewing their technical garbage because after all

they
are experts and thus they determine who is right or wrong, whether they

be
manufacturers, antenna designers or learning amateurs.

Why do we not know what diameter and the configuration is? Who's fault
is this?

So tell me Cecil the parallel circuit is in a book and for years I have
tried to get people to think for themselves but they can't
because this simple formula is in a book so any thinking goes out the
window.

Can we spell broke record? Art, again, I ONLY think for myself. You
couldn't afford my price to think for you, or any others... I don't
think for free. Besides, I don't need any extra leads or wiring coming
out of my ears, mouth, or my other skull openings...

I find it unbelievable that so many technical people
this side of the pond did not even think of looking beyond a book
that has this formula in it with only three components and not one

thought
about inserting figures into it and resolving things for themselves.

I will find it amazing if anyone can understand what the heck you are
harping about...Frankly, all this extended diatribe is confusing to
most I think. Double so, if you are an ignorant redneck like me...

Yup the
idea of figuring out all those resistances was too much for them so they

sat
back and trotted out phrases from a book that referred to a simple

bandpass
circuit possibly the size of a finger nail and then sat back and said it

was
good enough for a 160 meter antenna as we can ignore the wire or

radiating
members up there as being inconsequential.

As previously noted. It's hard to understand what the heck you are
talking about. I remember no such thing ocurring...Thread name?

I ask you Cecil as one who has
also also bore the brunt of uneducated attacks what were they taught at
school over here that allowed them to bandy this formula around without
understanding what it means.

Cecil was attacked? Did he survive? Did the formula survive?

No, don't tell me it is beyond anybody to
provide a reasonable explanation

Ok, I won't...

all they care about is crowding around Madame Guilliotine and cheering

as
somebody gets killed.

http://www.stud.hh.se/org/hasp/02/gala/6.html
I see them cheering and crowding around her, but I see no body...

Gentlemen if I can call you that

No, I'm a redneck. Most "gentlemen" shave their legs, and eat quiche
energy bars...

go now back to your books and figure out the pertinent figures that is
needed for this simple formula

Why? Will there be a test?

and then think about all those nasty things

Nasty? Whoa daddy, stand back....He's hurling a nasty...

you have said O and by the way remember you can add a shunt resistance

if
the impedance ratio gets a bit high but then you will have to go back to

book to find out where to put it,

He will? What if he doesn't own the book?

I could tell you but I will refrain, a couple of years to figure it out
may be beneficial

Typical....What, is this some big dark secret?
I think we should rename this group, rec.radio.peyton.place :/
MK

Once upon a time I went to see a demonstration of a device that was suppose
to generate more power than it consumed. Not that I thought the device had a
snow flakes chance in hell of working but I find thse sorts of event
entertaining. Whenever questioned the guy making the presentation would
either spout endless techno-babble, blame his failure on the media and power
companies, take it as an attack on his religion, or just claim the person
questioning him was being rude. For a few hundred dollars you may invest now
in a device that will be worth hundreds of thousands in the future as soon
as I iron out this one little problem, he says. Trouble is I am not sure if
this guy is an out an out fraud or someone who jsut doesnt understand you
cant create enery from nothing. Sound like anyone we know?