Old March 19th 04, 04:29 PM
Steven J Sobol

Jeff Strieble wrote:

WELW in Eastlake?

Yup, that's it. WELW ran (and may still be running) spots for a
while

Wow. I just went to the site and it says that Ravenna Miceli and Scott Howitt
are now working down there...

I don't know if WMJI has a better signal now or not. I moved to
Fairport Harbor over four years ago from Wickliffe; I had to get a
special amplified FM antenna for my stereo just to hear some of the
Cleveland stations noise-free, and even at that I cannot hear certain
stations, such as Mix 106.5, very well. (TV reception here in my
apartment is so bad I must have cable to get decent signals. I do not
get channel 3 at all on an antenna, and the other two VHF stations are
fair to downright poor. Ironically, however, the UHF stations, all but
WVIZ [PBS] channel 25, are watchable with good to excellent color
pictures. I like having cable, however, because it gives me better
reception, more stations to watch, and the fact that I have two PBS
stations on the cable here (WVIZ, of course, in Cleveland, plus WEAO
49 in Akron) which allow me to watch certain shows an hour apart (like
the NewsHour, Charlie Rose, et al.)

MMMMM.... Charlie Rose.

Well, first, as Mike Ward correctly pointed out, most TV and radio
transmitters are in Parma. The big exception was WKNR 1220 which was next to
the studio in Broadview Heights and pointed *directly* into downtown Cleveland
so you would have had problems receiving it in Fairport anyhow. (I'm not sure
what they're doing now under Salem's ownership, but I'm guessing that they
are still using the same, extremely directional, pattern.)

Oh yeah, and Z107.9 which can be heard at Allegheny College in Meadville, PA.
Their transmitter is in Geauga County (at the intersection of Sperry Road
and Kinsman Road).

I think the *other* issue is the terrain in Fairport. It's extremely hilly
there. Do you live off Second Street or High Street? Or do you live further
out?

Are Cleveland's FM stations' signal patterns meant to cover the area
east of Mentor, including Painesville, Fairport and environs? I would
think, noting that none of the Cleveland stations mention Perry,
Painesville, etc. very often in their commercials, they probably think
this area is a never-never land, shut off from greater Cleveland by 35
miles. I grant you, the distance is a factor, but I still wonder why
central and eastern Lake County aren't mentioned often in the
commercials broadcast by Cleveland stations.

Because Parma is the best place to put transmitters, and therefore anything
east of Mentor is a rimshot for the typical Cleveland station.

Fear not, young trooper! You do have a choice. Clear Channel operates a bunch
of stations in Ashtabula; you have Country 104.7 in Geneva and WATJ in Chardon
and WBKC in Painesville, all locally owned... between those stations you
actually have a decent selection of Stuff (adult contemporary, country, talk,
classic rock, whatever weird hybrid format Star 97.1 runs...)

I used to listen to 102 Zoo a lot, primarily because I enjoy listening to their
morning team. They seem to focus more on Lake County than any of the Cleveland
stations do.

I hope at least some of this information is useful to you.

PS. If it makes you feel any better, I live 90 miles northeast of the closest
media market (Los Angeles). The High Desert has exactly one TV station, KHIZ
TV 64. All of the LA stations have repeaters up here, but given how hilly the
terrain is (we're in a hilly area and surrounded on two sides by mountains),
I wouldn't try to do without cable either. The area is, however, big enough
to sustain a decent choice of radio stations, some from "down the hill" and
some here. I was actually quite shocked to find out that Infinity owns stations
in this rural area. Clear Channel I can understand, but Infinity....? (no need
to respond to that last comment, it's been responded to previously

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service:
http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/