Old March 22nd 04, 01:33 AM
Steven J Sobol

Mike Ward wrote:

Well, first, as Mike Ward correctly pointed out, most TV and radio
transmitters are in Parma. The big exception was WKNR 1220 which was next to
the studio in Broadview Heights and pointed *directly* into downtown Cleveland
so you would have had problems receiving it in Fairport anyhow. (I'm not sure
what they're doing now under Salem's ownership, but I'm guessing that they
are still using the same, extremely directional, pattern.)

As far as I know, WHK/1220 is still on the same pattern. It's what
causes the station to become a rumor near Medina at night.

Duh. WHK. I've even been on-air at WHK since the big flip (as a guest), and
I still forgot. (Not only that, I have friends at Salem... I should know
better...)

Another new "big exception" in the Cleveland market is WAKS/96.5 "Kiss
FM", the Akron market move-in once known as WKDD (the latter, of
course, now at 98.1 Canton). They nudged the WAKS tower site up just
north of the Cuyahoga Co./Summit Co. border in Brecksville, just off
Rt. 21 near the Turnpike. The old WKDD/96.5 already had fairly decent
coverage in the Cleveland market, but this move was similar to CC
moving the new WKDD/98.1 facility up closer to Akron.

96.5 had decent coverage in Mentor and Painesville back when it was WKDD, but
since moving I do believe the coverage has gone from decent to solid...

As far as the OP goes - it looks like 96.5 is probably shaky where he
is, too, at least according to the usual "for entertainment only" maps
at Radio-Locator.com:

Nahhh, I can confirm from living in the area (not 20 minutes away from him)
that Kiss has a good signal in northwest and north central Lake. Keep in mind,
however, that I haven't lived in Ohio since the end of last June.

Is WBKC/1460 still running a WCLV/104.9 Lorain simulcast after morning
drive (and outside of Indians games)?

As far as I know. Listen to 104.9 to find out - at the top of the hour
they'll ID WCLV *and* WBKC.

And at times, almost more than they focus on Ashtabula and environs.
That's probably because there's a lot more money in Lake County!

Ehhh. Most of their loyal sponsors are in Ashtabula and vicinity. The only
sponsor that runs spots with any frequency on 102 Zoo out of Lake is the
Classic Auto Group, which is all over the map - Wickliffe, Willoughby,
Mentor and Painesville -- and, of course, they have a store in Madison, the
last town on US 20 before you hit the Ashtabula County line.

It's interesting to hear their Cleveland ads which feature lavish production
values and Founder/President Jim Brown's booming voice, and then hear their
Ashtabula ads that.... don't. (The Ashtabula ads sound fine; they just aren't
as fancy.)

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service:
http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/