Old March 22nd 04, 04:18 PM
Peter H.

The big exception was WKNR 1220 which was next to
the studio in Broadview Heights and pointed *directly*
into downtown Cleveland so you would have had problems
receiving it in Fairport anyhow. (I'm not sure what they're
doing now under Salem's ownership, but I'm guessing that
they are still using the same, extremely directional,
pattern.)

As far as I know, WHK/1220 is still on the same pattern. It's what causes the
station to become a rumor near Medina at night.

WKNR was a legacy rock-'n'-roll call from Detroit/East Lansing (with WKFR ...
both then owned by Knorr Foods, hence W-KNR).

The 1220 pattern was cast into concrete in 1938 with NARBA, finally implemented
in 1941 as WGAR.

Carl Smith designed the array, and it has remained substantially the same
(although the "six wire" line, the phasor and the center tower have all been
replaced).

It's not *that* directional.

The entire U.S.-Mexican border is protected, as is the primary service area of
first adjacent-channel WCAU.

Implemented by Smith using only five towers, the signal is intended to serve
Cleveland and Akron, plus Canton, all of Ohio.

About 250 kW towards Cleveland. About one-half that towards Akron.

Grandfathered by NARBA as DA-1, even though DA-1 is no longer required under
"Rio" rules.

A better pattern is possible, using more towers, but protection of Mexico, DF,
and Philadelphia remain as absolute constraints. Plus, now, the many 1220s
which are Class Bs, operating with very low, but conforming power.

At best, one "throw-away" mimima could be eliminated, that minima being
essentially entirely over Lake Erie, and a new pattern might require an
entirely new array concept, and most probably six to eight towers.

Given Salem's parsimoniousness, I seriously doubt that a megabuck,
give-or-take, would be spent on this station to give it a more desirable
pattern.