Old April 14th 04, 07:33 PM
Scott Dorsey

Peter Tate wrote:

Also in a "broad" sence we are as far away from the technologicaly developed
countries as you can get without coming back closer. Plus we "almost are"
the only ones in the race for the southern hemisphere. Over your way the
SKIP potential would be more pronounced. Thus causing the authorities to
think the way they do. I got it here when asking for a HF Domestic license
on the 2368.5 KHZ.

In South America, there are a lot of broadcasters using the 120 meter
band down in that area. Stations have a very large coverage area, and
often are the only communication at all, so 120 meter and 60 meter shortwave
broadcast is used for local programming.

We tolerate the night time extension in coverage given the d layer. As you
know the groundwave is not too favourable so I was asked a lot of suss
questions for wanting one.

The night time extension is the wonderful thing about these bands, of course.

Here the "general idea" is everything needs to be big to cover enough area
to get a workable audience size. So anything that reduces the effective
coverage area is not liked too much with the engineering people.

Also I've bookmarked your site. I'm on the hunt for gear to set up the
licenses i have.

How much power are you licensed for? Fair Radio Sales right now has a
bunch of wideband broadcast transmitters for reasonable money. Are there
type acceptance requirements in your country for that band? If not, you
might consider using higher grade amateur gear. Even HCJB is running a
little Viking II transmitter on one band, and it gets out nicely and is
apparently reliable.
--scott