Old April 15th 04, 08:10 PM
T. Early

"Rich Wood" wrote in message
On 14 Apr 2004 14:42:59 GMT, "T. Early"
wrote:

That's a reasonable distinction. So should I assume that Air

America
representatives did not approach the owners with an offer, knowing
that acceptance of the offer would result in CAA programming being
replaced?

Offers like this are made every day. Broadcasting is win-lose
business. If one show comes in another has to go out.

WLIB is a commercial entity. If it's losing money because no one is
listening and they can't sell time, something has to give. Supposing
BET had a radio network and made the same deal? CAA programming

would
go, also.

You can't blame Air America for seeing an opportunity and making
something of it.

I don't blame 'em, but this thread has gotten long enough where the
original context, which concerned an article linked to by the original
poster, has gotten lost. The author of the article (which was
admittedly over the top) found some irony in the fact that a network
catering to those who are usually obsessed with multiculturism and
speech outlets for the "disenfranchised" would themselves
"disenfranchise" this type of programming. Another poster (also
above) took issue with this characterization, and it seems to me that
who did what to whom -is- relevant in that context. I also think it's
a reasonable assumption that had WLIB's programming been replaced by,
say, Michael Medved or Mike Reagan, we'd be hearing a lot about the
loss of CAA's "voice" from those who support Air America.