Old April 19th 04, 06:22 AM
Scott McCollum

Default What is the typical price/length of a syndicated radio news contract?

How much do commercial radio stations pay for their "top of the hour"
news from Westwood One or ABC News and how long do those contracts
typically last?

What I can't find out (and I *know* someone in this group will know
for certain):

1) How much would a talk radio station not owned by Infinity or
Disney/ABC in a Top 10 market pay for a contract with Disney to
broadcast ABC News at the top of the hour? How much would that station
pay Westwood One for CBS News briefs? (I know stations like WABC in
NYC and WBAP in Dallas that are *owned* by Disney/ABC obviously have
different contracts for radio news than say, a Cox or Clear
Channel-owned station in Atlanta or Chicago.)

2) How long do these contracts last with Westwood One or Disney/ABC?
For example, the Seattle market has two major commercial talk
stations: KVI and KTTH. KVI acquires their news from Fox News Radio
and caters to a politically conservative audience. KTTH also caters to
that audience, but has ABC News at the top of the hour and is finding
that even their P1s will switch to KVI for 3min at the top of every
hour because they perceive ABC News as being more left of center
politically. The PD for KTTH has publicly stated that they will use
"ABC News for the foreseeable future" but didn't give any indication
as to the length of their contract with Disney/ABC.

3) What are the limitations of re-broadcasting those syndicated news
briefs by radio stations with Internet streaming audio? For example,
can an Infinity-owned radio station with a "click here to listen live"
graphic on their website legally stream the CNN Radio at the top of
every hour or are they blocked the same way that AFTRA rules block the
rebroadcast of Howard Stern over the Internet?

Thanks for the info,

Scott