Old April 19th 04, 10:06 PM
John Higdon

In article ,
(Robert Zachrisson) wrote:

Increasing the average audio level (but keeping the maximum constant)
will increase signal to noise ratio, and the perceived loudness,
whether it's for recording, AM or FM transmitting.

For competitive reasons, broadcast audio processing has become an art.
If I had my druthers, processing would be absolutely minimal. That
aside, I also concede that there are techniques to keep the signal away
from the noise floor that do not seriously mangle the music in the
process and can actually give the appearance of dynamic range.

In most major markets, there is at least one station that has figured
this out. What you can hear are "soft" passages that are actually louder
on the dial than other stations' din of squash, and then when the music
swells, it seems to get even louder! The effect is an illusion of
dynamics while maintaining an ear-grabbing, highly competitive sound.

As allways there are 2 sides to a coin, in this case the drawback is
listening fattigue due to decreased dynamics and increased distorsion.

Indeed. Fortunately, DSP has managed to neatly package sophisticated
techniques that could only be obtained in the past with considerable
experimentation using combinations of devices. The Texar/Optimod combo
was an attempt to pre-package such a technique, but unfortunately the
Texar was ill-conceived. Its audio bands were in the wrong places. Its
time constants produced more artifacts and fatigue than competitive
sound. And, of course, it still relied on the Optimod for modulation
control.

In short we make sure we use our recources fully.
Some don't settle for less then maximum all the time, while others
realise that there is a backside to it, and makes a more balanced
setting.

As Arlo Gutherie might say, "You can have anything you want..." in a
suitable digital processor. In that situation, everything is on the
table, and can be handled with a minimum of audible distortion. (But
always keep in mind that audio processing, by definition, IS
distortion.) With a Texar, you get hardwired, ill-conceived constants.

But as the technology matures, most of the gains are allready made and
further advances takes huge efforts and gives only small advances.

At this moment, all cind of metaphysical terms and decription starts
to florish, and I stop listening and turns my attension elsewhere.

First and foremost, you need to have an ear for work. It is, after all,
all about listening.

--
John Higdon | Email Address Valid | SF: +1 415 428-COWS
+1 408 264 4115 | Anytown, USA | FAX: +1 408 264 4407