Old April 30th 04, 11:41 PM
unitron

Bill Thompson wrote in message ...

snip

My other recollection from my commercial radio days was rebuilding the
production suite. I was just out of school, and really wanted to make an
impression... I gave it everything I had, and through some great
coaching and a little luck the new production room sounded so good that
it made the air chain sound terrible. The owner and PD were furious, to
the point where they were convinced that something I had done in the
production room had broken the air chainG!

Idiots who know nothing about sound or electronics get to run radio
stations, no news there. WKRP wasn't real life exagerated for comic
effect, it was real life dialed back to make it believable for the
viewing audience who had no idea about what life in real small to
medium market stations was like.

If that wasn't bad enough, I then tackled the air chain, and, as I'm
sure you've already guessed, everything I fixed made the rest of the
stuff sound worse. Sadly, I started at the sources, tape decks and cart
machines, so the difference was really obvious when the air staff would
switch the monitors from air to program.

Wouldn't switching between program and air just show the difference
made by the post-board mix processing chain? Wouldn't proper head
cleaning and alignment make both sound better?