Old May 27th 04, 05:20 AM
Cooperstown.Net

So are you equally opposed to Dr. Demento? Does he have a doctorate in
Dementia?

Dr. Demento is as fictional a character as Captain Kangaroo. Radio does
indeed entertain us with imaginary characters brandishing imaginary credentials.
Invoking this fact is a rather weak defense of a radio performer who proclaims a
real credential and addresses the issues of real callers. I trust that the
production company for Marcus Welby, M.D., for example, had an orderly procedure
for dealing with the medical questions they no doubt occasionally received.
Perhaps a form letter advising professional medical attention, rather than
Laura's approach of ridiculing the questioner on air.

In fact, I'm perfectly comfortable leaving the question of Laura's use of
her degree to those who enforce the fraud statutes. I'm disputing your
suggestion that a lower standard has been applied to Ann and Abby because they
appear in print.

Jerome