Old May 29th 04, 06:04 PM
lsmyer

As a former radio GM, I am convinced that radio is the best buy for the
advertising dollar. It is very low cost and is very effective and I think
95% of businesses should spend at least part of their advertising budget on
local and/or national radio.

Many advertisers, though, feel like radio is not as glamorous as television,
not as serious as newspaper, and not as timely as outdoor. Of course, I beg
to differ on all accounts.

And as someone who has dealt extensively with ad agencies, both as a seller
and as a buyer, I know that agencies make their money as a percentage of
both the media buy and production costs. I suspect, therefore, that most
agencies tend to steer their customers toward the more expensive media
outlets with the higher production costs.

That leaves more inventory available on radio for folks who are savvy enough
to take advantage of radio's enormous reach and effectiveness. Those
weight-loss and gold-coin promoters are smart enough do so, and the radio
owners are smart enough to accept their money.