Old June 12th 04, 05:30 PM
Bob Haberkost

"Alex_Grady" wrote in message ...

Whether you listen to it normally as an FM or AM station, or over the
internet because it's in a foreign country, what are currently your 3
favorite radio stations and please say why, for each one named.

Okay, I'm usually pretty quick to take the opportunity to introduce others to my
favorite radio operation...as my email handle suggests, I'm a huge fan of CBC Radio
One, Canada's public broadcasting network, with a number of stations all over Canada
and an impressively content-rich web presence with a number of those stations
available on their website, at www.cbc.ca/audio.html.

As an American quite displeased with American radio (which even applies to
non-commercial broadcasting, since the lack of government support has resulted in a
loss of some of the more eccentric and esoteric programming on even the better-funded
stations) CBC's take on current affairs, news, philosophy, entertainment and even
sports has made it my primary source of information, although that's confined to home
since there's no way except through the internet to get it. While I've listened to
the BBC and NPR, CBC's programs manage to strike a balance between information and
entertainment...the evening news program, As It Happens, being a prime example of how
one can cover the news that matters, yet still have a wry sense of humor about it.

Entertainment programs, as well, don't take themselves very seriously...there's
usually a self-deprecating quality about them that may well be part of the Canadian
persona. And (a true blessing) these programs rarely engage in celebrity worship,
and most of the trash news that makes up so much of American programming (Jacko goes
Wacko, OJ's still looking for his wife's killer, Just What was that Stain on the Blue
Dress?, Paris does...well, everyone) is just ignored...which leaves time to cover
more important stuff (like, how much of rest of the world likes the United States'
behavior these days....here's a hint....the Brits love us, but they're not sure)
doesn't it?

And, with the exception of election periods (which amount to only a month every two
years or so, when they have to run two or three minutes of political spots a day)
they're absolutely commercial-free...not even "underwriting" announcements! There
are also rumors that CBC programming may show up on the satellite radio provider,
Sirius, as they've entered into an agreement with CBC to bring satellite radio to
Canada. As I already have Sirius in the car (another reaction to my displeasure with
what's available locally) this addition would be very much welcomed (As It Happens,
by the way, is also on PRI World at 7pm ET weekdays, on Sirius channel 108).

When I'm away from my computer, I'll drop to the local NPR affiliate, WDUQ in
Pittsburgh. They run This American Life (probably the best example on American radio
of what CBC sounds like) as well as the other NPR news programs, Morning Edition, All
in a Day and All Things Considered (a program which Susan Stamberg proposed to NPR
after becoming a fan of As It Happens, but which ends up much drier and more earnest
in comparison to As It Happens). When WDUQ isn't airing NPR programming, they do
jazz, which is not my favorite genre, but it usually is a lot less frantic than what
else is on the radio. Again, News and Entertainment. And few commercials.

Finally, there's local, independent non-commercial WYEP in Pittsburgh. They're a bit
uneven, as they have a number of volunteers for air talent, and they have a tendency,
again, to do what everyone else is doing (can't afford to offend potential donors,
after all), but every once in a while they'll play something really novel. They're
quite connected to the community, as well.

So, summing up...the reason I listen to any of these is 1) to hear about the world
around me, beyond my local awareness, and to be introduced to new ideas while getting
some enjoyment from listening; 2) to hear about the people and places around me, to
know what's going on that has a direct effect on my life; and 3) No (or few)
commercials! Broadcasting has become far too greedy, now that the FCC has lifted the
limit on (once 18 minutes/hour, which is still too much) commercial matter. The only
unexpected result of my listening to Canadian radio is that I probably know more
about what's going on in Toronto than I do in Pittsburgh. I'll probably move.
There must always be the appearance of lawfulness....especially when the law's being
broken.
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-