Old June 17th 04, 04:08 AM
Don Forsling

"OIE" wrote in message ...
On 13 Jun 2004 17:40:03 GMT, Rich Wood
wrote:

Actually, I meant more along the lines of news. Is it even illegal to
replay short clips? Probably so, just making sure.

Radio stations pay networks with commercial inventory to use those
actualities.Lots of inventory. I don't believe you'll find there's any
"fair use" application in a one minute news clip that's been edited by
the network and paid for by the stations.

Under no circumstances, short of getting permission, can you use the
voice of any network personality unless you want to pay them a hefty
fee. You're in very dangerous water.

Rich

Just thought of something else. What about rebroadcasting
politicians? I know you can use the words of politicians freely, but
do you have to record their words yourself?

Drop that thought.

No, you don't have to literally record the words yourself. You can have
somebody do that for you, but as has been made pretty clear here already,
you cannot record the "words" from someone else's radio station and then
play them on yours. Sure, the politician was no doubt speaking in a public
forum, but the radio station from which _you_ got the audio was the party
that some way, some how and for sure paid for that audio. And that station
owns that particular rendering of that audio. They paid for it. They sent
a reporter to the scene to record it. Or they paid a network in spot
inventory to get it. You didn't. There isn't such a thing as free audio
for use on the air (unless, of course, you negotiate a price of $0.00 with
the party that owns it. You can't just take it from the owner (well, you
_can_ but you shouldn't). I think your search for free stuff is going to be
futile.

Don