Old July 1st 04, 01:15 AM
Bob Haberkost

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

"misterfact" wrote in message
"David Eduardo" wrote in message
"misterfact" wrote in message

I'm
talking about those who continually commit FCC broadcast law
violations. (Like lying about consumer products for personal profit
and dispensing false medical "information" , thus making people sick
or even die!)

What FCC "laws" would they be violating, please.

Well- for instance: The adverse health effects of secondhand
cigarette smoke have been well-documented.....

(Snip, snip, snip).

The FCC has no rules (the only "law" the FCC has is called "administrative
law" unless I am sorely mistaken) against this. The FCC basically has rules
about technical operation, and the programming "rules" concern indecency,
station IDs, etc. There is just about nothing on content other than
indecency. Other government agencies, ranging from local to Federal, have
jurisdiction on the areas you are mentioning, but not the FCC.

And a lot of what you mention is what, in English, we call "opinion." If a
talk host wants to state he or she does not believe in the "trumped up
figures about second hand smoke" they are well within their constitutionally
_protected_ rights to disagree. Many people disagree with creationism or
evolutionism, despite either Biblical or scientific "proof" and such
disagreement is protected.

But the point he's making is that these hosts *may be* (and I stress that I'm only
repeating his allegation) on the payroll for the firms being represented positively
(or said firm's competitors unfavorably). And that's still covered under payola
prohibitions, which last I looked, is still on the books (even though Clear Channel
et.al. have figured out a way around that one).
There must always be the appearance of lawfulness....especially when the law's being
broken.
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-