Old July 1st 04, 11:07 PM
Don Forsling

(Lots of snipping)

-- "misterfact" wrote in message
You are certainly wrong on that point. Falsification of the news by
intent is illegal. It says so on the FCC website. It says that "when
the FCC receives extrinsic information from witness(es) that
INTENTIONAL falsification of news events or product promotion occurs
for any reason (i.e. personal gain, subjective views, etc)- THE FCC
WILL TAKE ACTION !"

I have highlighted the WILL TAKE ACTION- because that is in their
literature.

I will go to their website and post it here in the next few days.

Well, good luck to you. I'm very interested in seeing what the FCC has to
say, if anything, about lying.

But, if I understand your so-far-undocumented claim, if I go on the air
and give a weather forecast wherein the National Weather Service says that
the high temperature today will be 85 degrees and I intentionally say, read
"lie" (just for the hell of it) that it's going to hit 90, I or the station
(if a listener complains to the FCC or enough of them do--begging the
question of how the heck they'd know I lied!) would be subject to action by
the FCC.

I would have, in this instance intentionally falsified _news_--weather news.
What if, when reading a news story that states that the governor will speak
in the city park at 8:30 PM on a particular night, and just for the hell of
it (intentionally) I tell the listeners that he's speaking at 9PM and a lot
of folks, as a result, miss the speech. Those folks complain to the FCC
that the station or yours truly gave out the wrong time for the speech.
Liable to an FCC sanction? Give us a break.

By the way, there's a hell of a big difference between a _news event_ and
the news--a difference that might make a difference in how you present your
argument--you seem to use the terms as though their meanings are identical.
They're not. Think about it.

Now, back in the old days, a station with a record for doing stuff like
what's described above could result in--ah, the heck with the old days.

The whole subject is goofy, and I'm ashamed of myself for wasting so much of
my time on it--and your time, too, for that matter.

Don Forsling

"Iowa--Gateway to Those Big Rectangular States"