Old July 13th 04, 04:29 AM
Mark Roberts

Mark Howell had written:
| On 11 Jul 2004 15:04:48 GMT, "David Eduardo"
| wrote:
|

| Actrually, the AM IBOC sounds far better than analog IBOC, even the kind of
| analog you could get on an older receiver and pre-NRSC. FM IBOC is a degree
| better than analog FM. The real issue is with occupied bandwidth, not the
| quality of the audio.
|
| I'm afraid I have to disagree. The most charitable spin I can put on
| AM IBOC is that it sounds bad in a different way than analog AM sounds
| bad, and to my ears, the analog is preferable. The damage IBOC does
| to the analog signal is serious and quite noticeable on anything but
| the very worst-quality receivers, the interference products have the
| potential to do great damage to other stations

Simple question:
If AM IBOC is such hot stuff, why is it restricted to daytime hours only?

I can now hear the damage it does to the analog signal on KCBS. The
effect varies from radio to radio, but on almost all of them, the
noise floor goes up when IBOC is on.

On a synchronous detector, it sounds worse...like a mosquito buzzing
in the background. That's true even in a regional park with no power
lines or people nearby. And, on my AM stereo radios with those detectors,
that's with the stereo decoder OFF.

What's next: analog radios with 2 kHz bandwidth so we don't hear the
buzzing noise placed there to serve receivers that don't exist?!?!?

| However, there is an adjacent channel interference issue with FM as
| well, so the question arises, why are we junking up the band and
| reducing everyone's effective coverage area for something that is,
| looked at in the most positive possible light, just "not worse" than
| what we have? Just to be "digital?"

I suspect this is the back door through which DRM will slip for
broadcast radio.

--
Mark Roberts |"Bush campaign ads boast that 1.5 million jobs were added in the
Oakland, Cal.| last 10 months, as if that were a remarkable achievement. It