Old July 21st 04, 05:47 AM
Robert Orban

In article , says...

ChrisCoaster wrote:
Ohh, that's even worse. "Bomb"ing your own era? I'da loved to have
grown up when you did, pal. At least you HAD real music back then
where talent actually SANG. Today one doesn't even have to sing, play
an instrument(computer does that for you) or know how to read
music(which I don't but I'm no performer) to hit the top 10. Today's
scene is about as creative as a toiletseat compared to 30, 40, 50
years ago.

That's exactly what my parents said 30 years ago, though.

I'd have to agree with your parents. The musicianship in the big bands was
miles ahead of almost anything coming out of the rock and roll era. And I
say this despite being of the boomer generation myself and having grown up
on rock and roll. Nevertheless, I know quality when I hear it.

Rock and its descendents are, basically, glorified folk music that has
always extolled the virtues of emerging from the People, whether from the
"street," the "garage," or the "hood." Music of our parents' generation
came from the sophisticated pros in Hollywood and on Broadway, all of whom
were proud of their craftsmanship. BIG difference.