Old August 20th 04, 01:17 AM
Bob Haberkost

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
Frank Dresser wrote:
Wouldn't FM broadcast antennas be an even greater concern? The height of
most adults would make them resonant somewhere near, or in, the FM broadcast
band. I'd expect energy transfer to be more effiecnt from the FM broadcast
antenna to the human body than it is in the AM broadcast band.

I'd sure think so.

On the other hand, the FM signal is radiated from an antenna atop the
tower. Stand at the base of a 300' FM tower, and you're 300' from the
thing that radiates.

At an AM station, the entire tower radiates.

One of the issues with most FM arrays with gain is that, for many, the spacing which
results in the array having gain also results in a fairly pronounced hot-spot
directly above the antenna, where few people would be expected to be, as well as
directly below, where technical personnel might spend a substantial amount of time.
Personally, I think that the AM radiation hazards are overstated in this study, and
that the issue comes more from environmental circumstances by virtue of the fact that
many AM transmitter installations share the same area as other industrial concerns.
If there's nothing that offends you in your community, then you know you're not
living in a free society.
Kim Campbell - ex-Canadian Prime Minister - 2004
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-