Old August 20th 04, 05:45 AM
Tim Perry

"George S. Thurman" wrote in message
I am curious if station sign-on and sign-off announcements are required by
the FCC ?
I ask this, because I have noticed several daytime only stations recently
that do not make any type of announcement at sign-off
They just kill the carrier afer the last commercial. And they begin the
next broadcast day with programming, sometimes not even a legal ID.

Just curious about this.

George Thurman

the rules:

PART 73_RADIO BROADCAST SERVICES--Table of Contents

Subpart H_Rules Applicable to All Broadcast Stations

Sec. 73.1201 Station identification.

(a) When regularly required. Broadcast station identification
announcements shall be made:
(1) At the beginning and ending of each time of operation, and
(2) Hourly, as close to the hour as feasible, at a natural break in
program offerings. Television and Class A television broadcast stations
may make these announcements visually or aurally.

a lot of AMs are being automated. the transmitter controller is simply
programmed to shut down (and turn on the next morning) independent of
programming.

what you are hearing may be a case of nighttime power/pattern change where
you are outside the night coverage area.

often the nighttime power of former daytime stations is only a few watts

there is no requirement to announce anything when switching patterns/power