Old August 20th 04, 05:46 AM
numeric

Default US to roll out terrestrial digital

Mike Terry wrote:

Clear Channel are leading American radio and speeding up the industry's
adoption of digital technology and has agreed a deal to make 1,000 of its
stations digital. The broadcaster will use the iBiquity, in-band HD system,
developed by iBiquity Digital Corporation, a company in which Clear Channel
has a small interest. By 2007 San Antonion-based Clear Channel expects to
convert 95 per cent of its 1,200 AM and FM stations to digital in its top
100 markets, which include the Baltimore-Washington area, as well as New
York and Cincinnati. Initially the conversion will cost about £70,000 a
station, but the price is expected to decrease as the R & D costs are
reclaimed.

http://www.theradiomagazine.co.uk/News.htm

Good news if one is lucky enough to find where to buy a digital radio
for terrestrial reception. Except for satellite radio, terrestrial
digital radio is a well kept secret. There is one digital AM radio
station in the NYC area, WOR 710 KHZ, and no available receiver. I get a
blank stare when I ask the so-called technical expert retail guy if
their store sells digital AM radios. Maybe in the future there will be
an after market auto radio capable of digital AM/FM reception and short
wave DRM digital reception.