Old August 21st 04, 05:23 AM
Greg and Joan

"R J Carpenter" wrote in message

I'm a lot more worried about teens and others I see wandering around with

cell-phone permanently attached less than an inch from their brain.

And their retinas as well..... 900 mhz --- I can recall around 20 years
ago (don't get on my case as to whether it was 16 or 22 or 18 years ago) but
the FCC advised the amateur radio community that if you don't do something
to increase your numbers, we're gonna have to start taking your VHF, UHF,
microwave allocations away. This spectrum is too valuable for you to hold
when your numbers are declining and you're not using them anyway.

They (FCC) discussed a codeless "communicator" license. The ARRL countered
with a "Novice Enhancement" program, which satisfied the Morse Code fetish
requirement, and, as it turned out, did not bring the 50,000 new hams
per year into the service as they claimed it would. But anyway, IIRC,
somebody's idea was to allow novices voice privileges on 902 Mhz, and it
was not considered seriously , and one of the reasons cited was safety.