Old August 21st 04, 04:09 PM
Dr. Who

What's really bad is.
When I called WOR up in June to ask them, "Where I could get a Digital
Receiver?"
They laughed at me and said. You can go to any Best Buy or Wall-Mart to buy
a radio.
I then said, "I know I can buy any AM radio. But I want to listen to WOR's
digital IBOC.
Then the guy asks, "What's IBOC?". I said that High Def digital radio.
He then says No. We don't broadcast that kind of radio. You need to
subscibe to Satellite radio to listen to digital radio.

"numeric" wrote in message

Mike Terry wrote:

Clear Channel are leading American radio and speeding up the industry's
adoption of digital technology and has agreed a deal to make 1,000 of

its
stations digital. The broadcaster will use the iBiquity, in-band HD

system,
developed by iBiquity Digital Corporation, a company in which Clear

Channel
has a small interest. By 2007 San Antonion-based Clear Channel expects

convert 95 per cent of its 1,200 AM and FM stations to digital in its

top
100 markets, which include the Baltimore-Washington area, as well as New
York and Cincinnati. Initially the conversion will cost about £70,000 a
station, but the price is expected to decrease as the R & D costs are
reclaimed.

http://www.theradiomagazine.co.uk/News.htm

Good news if one is lucky enough to find where to buy a digital radio
for terrestrial reception. Except for satellite radio, terrestrial
digital radio is a well kept secret. There is one digital AM radio
station in the NYC area, WOR 710 KHZ, and no available receiver. I get a
blank stare when I ask the so-called technical expert retail guy if
their store sells digital AM radios. Maybe in the future there will be
an after market auto radio capable of digital AM/FM reception and short
wave DRM digital reception.