Old August 22nd 04, 05:55 PM
David L. Wilson

"Rob" wrote in message ...
I'm writing in regards to the FCC's Emergency Alert System. I am a
hobbyist trying to set up a system to listen for EAS broadcasts in my
area, but although I've read over the documentation on the matter
(11.31, 47CFR)*, I can't figure out what the frequency to listen on
should be. Can anyone offer any guidance on the subject?

Thanks,
Rob

*http://www.fcc.gov/eb/eas/47part11.pdf

It uses regular AM, FM, and TV broadcasts stations as well as NOAA weather.
There are no separate frequencies used for these--it is a "system" for
alerting the public rather than a "net" of dedicated frequencies. Two way
links or subcarriers associated with the bropadcast stations are used for
linking and there are some HF stations on the FEMA HF frequencies that have
been very rarely heard that help provide link in case wire and other links
fail. In other words, it uses already existing radio systems rather than
having its own and the local frequencies depend on the local area.

See instead
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/eas/plans.html
for your state for additional information.