Old March 10th 04, 03:42 PM
Tam/WB2TT

First off, for frequencies less than about 5 MHz, 30 feet is really too
short. Try to at least double that, and try to get it as high as possible.

The stations will be bunched. that is how they are allocated. International
broadcast stations will be bunched around 6 MHz (49 meters),7 Mhz (39
meters), 9 Mhz (31 meters), 11 MHz (25 meters), and up around 16 Mhz.

Keep in mind that which band will work at any given time will depend on the
time of day. You will only hear long distance stations on 7 MHz and below
after dark. The higher frequency stations might come in all day long, or
only during the day. Afternoon is usually good. Long distance on the AM band
is strictly after dark. With a short antenna you will have the best luck on
stations above 1300 KHz, or so. The biggest problem will be hearing distant
stations that are close in frequency to a local stations. Tune for "clear
channel" stations (unfortunately, mostly on lower frequencies, like WABC and
WCBS NY, WJR Detroit. WLW Cincinnati, WLS New Orleans, etc. 1000 miles is
not a big deal.

Above all, you need a radio with good selectivity. A high end audiophile
receiver is absolutely the worst thing; old car radios work well.

Tam/WB2TT
"Matthew&Wendy" wrote in message
I have a simple scanner/shortwave receiver and have recently installed a
wire antenna. I have been able to pick up stations over 500 miles away.
However, it seems as though the stations are grouped in very narrow bands.
Is there a way to make the antenna "look" longer or shorter electronically
so that I have a greater range of frequencies? Thanks your help in

advance.
Matthew

---