Old September 30th 04, 02:13 PM
Garrett Wollman

In article ,
resqchf701 wrote:
These two had thundering voices reading:

"The Spirit of New England, WBZ Boston, Group W Westinghouse Broadcasting"

__ oclock, Someplace Special, (instrumental of call sign jingle) 1020 KDKA
Pittsburgh, Group W, Westinghouse Broadcasting.

You can't forget the classic:

Anchor: K-Y-W newstime...
FX: BOOP
Anchor: ...XXX o'clock.
Stentorian Announcer Voice: All news, all the time.
Jingle singers: K-Y-W, Newsradio, 10-60
S.A.V.: From Independence Mall, this is News Radio, K-Y-W Philadelphia,
10-60 on your dial, a Group W Westinghouse Broadcasting
Station, serving Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware, in
A-M stereo.

http://audio.bostonradio.org/98caaabd-b353-11d8-9fd3-00904703287b.ogg

IIRC, Mr. Stentorian Announcer Voice, the long-time imaging voice of
KYW radio and television, died this year. Not quite Jim Clancy, but
great pipes nonetheless.

All of the WINS IDs I've heard (in the modern era, anyway) were read
by the outgoing news anchor. In market #1 the station which had the
most presence in its legal ID was WCBS, as witness
http://audio.bostonradio.org/1ad39f32-af7f-11d8-9fd3-00904703287b.ogg.
(Other CBS all-newsers of the mid-90s tended to jingle.)

Unfortunately most all-news and news-talk stations these days seem to
think it's "undignified" to jingle, although I'm told KFBK in
Sacramento
(http://audio.bostonradio.org/8d336817-aecb-11d8-9fd3-00904703287b.ogg,
recorded in 1997) is still an exception, as is Milwaukee's heritage
WTMJ:
http://audio.bostonradio.org/151300c9-d2fb-11d8-b318-00904703287b.ogg.

One of my current AM favorites (in no small part because the jock is a
friend of mine) is this one from suburban Pittsburgh:

http://audio.bostonradio.org/5e05f288-0f32-11d9-8341-00904703287b.ogg

Other AM IDs I like:

WGAN: http://audio.bostonradio.org/a725990d-b9b8-11d8-a5c8-00a0cc584130.ogg
WHP: http://audio.bostonradio.org/e43540b8-ae0d-11d8-9fd3-00904703287b.ogg
WICC: http://audio.bostonradio.org/795fdf00-ac3e-11d8-9fd3-00904703287b.ogg
WPTF: http://audio.bostonradio.org/c8c5f3ba-ac32-11d8-9fd3-00904703287b.ogg
CKAC: http://audio.bostonradio.org/03ff251e-b37e-11d8-9fd3-00904703287b.ogg
HJJX: http://audio.bostonradio.org/aaafc718-b43a-11d8-9fd3-00904703287b.ogg
WBAP: http://audio.bostonradio.org/8524cdd4-b052-11d8-9fd3-00904703287b.ogg
WLS: http://audio.bostonradio.org/bb53a9b7-b835-11d8-b318-00904703287b.ogg
WTIC: http://audio.bostonradio.org/7691e987-af81-11d8-9fd3-00904703287b.ogg
WWWE: http://audio.bostonradio.org/11ab4ddc-af8b-11d8-9fd3-00904703287b.ogg
WBT: http://audio.bostonradio.org/3a406b86-ac30-11d8-9fd3-00904703287b.ogg
WOWO: http://audio.bostonradio.org/d453893e-af7e-11d8-9fd3-00904703287b.ogg
WTSN: http://audio.bostonradio.org/aeee4c98-b43f-11d8-9fd3-00904703287b.ogg
WNTA and WROK: http://audio.bostonradio.org/b2a4a65b-b9c0-11d8-b318-00904703287b.ogg
WINY: http://audio.bostonradio.org/3f1f4659-b7f6-11d8-b318-00904703287b.ogg
WNBP: http://audio.bostonradio.org/151655e0-d2da-11d8-b318-00904703287b.ogg

For the other 1,500 or so you'll have to poke around the site.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman | As the Constitution endures, persons in every
| generation can invoke its principles in their own
Opinions not those of| search for greater freedom.
MIT, LCS, CRS, or NSA| - A. Kennedy, Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. ___ (2003)