Old October 16th 04, 05:58 PM
Bob Haberkost

"fredtv" wrote in message ...
I saw a TV news story that said power transformers acted as ''speed bumps''
on the information superhighway. Have they found away around this? Or is
the powerline Internet service still slower than competing technologies?

This is, in my opinion, a gimme by the FCC to the power distribution companies who
want into an industry far above the old technologies they're in now. I've said for
years, when a British firm was doing trials, that this technology would never work -
that the power lines, being unshielded, would be both a source of interference and
prone to noise and intermodulation from the alternating current being transferred by
the lines' primary function. The trials were scuttled prematurely, for all these
reasons. The fundamental problems still exist, and the methods needed to work around
them require equipment which interfaces and/or is raised to lethally high voltages.
To maintain the system would require conventional power linemen, wearing gloves and
other protective clothing. You can imagine what level of service is to be expected
under these circumstances. Further, as power lines are the top-most utilities on a
utility pole, they're most prone to lightning hits, as well.

I'd stay away from this, if an investment opportunity were to come around. It
wouldn't be the first time the FCC has type-accepted a failed technology, and it
wouldn't be the first time that a proposed standard's supporting technical
documentation wasn't "cleaned-up", if you know what I mean, so as to demonstrate to
the Commission that it met the requirements necessary for type-acceptance.
If there's nothing that offends you in your community, then you know you're not
living in a free society.
Kim Campbell - ex-Prime Minister of Canada - 2004
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
The FCC has acted to approve the implementation of Brodband Over
Powerline technology (BPL) for widspread Internet access in the
United States. We were able to get in and record part of the October
14th proceeding which is now posted as a downloadable MP3 file at our
website: www.arnewsline.org/quincy under the title of "EXTRA".

The speakers you will hear inorder of their appearance are FCC
Commissioners Michael Copps, Kevin Martin, Jonathan Adelstein and FCC
Chairman Michael Powell. The presentation concludes with the actual
vote to proceed with the implementation of BPL

(ARNewsline)