Old October 19th 04, 06:11 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Lelannie wrote:
I am very interested in the history of radio ,and i was wondering
if any one in your group knew where the first radio station in the
united states was located.Thank you for your time and help.

The answer depends on a number of definitions.

Most references will tell you the answer is Pittsburgh, where KDKA is
located.

KDKA argues that it was the first station to take out a license for the
specific purpose of broadcasting. Other stations used experimental
licenses to engage in broadcasting before KDKA's appearance - the
stations now known as WWJ (Detroit), WHA (Madison, Wis.), and KCBS (San
Francisco, originally KQW San Jose) are often cited.

There were radio stations for other purposes before any of these
broadcast stations came along. Hams; stations on ships (and the shore
stations that communicated with them); military stations; and scientific
experimenters all predated broadcasting. It has been suggested Nathan
B. Stubblefield of Murray, Kentucky was the first to experiment with
radio in the U.S.. I would by no means rule out the possibility someone
beat Stubblefield to it though. Since licenses weren't required until
1912 (and occasionally not bothered with even after that date) records
are incomplete.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66