Old October 23rd 04, 05:13 AM
Frank Dresser

"Fuller Wrath" wrote in message

:

1. The Fairness Doctrine could be resurrected and rewritten to assure a
balance of voices/opinions are heard on the public airwaves.

So, why doesn't the government also require newspapers to have a balance of
voices and opinions?

What are the details of this rewrite? The old fairness doctrine was a club
for partisians and others with an ax to grind. How would the new fairness
doctrine keep the political partisans and kooks from harassing media
stations with nusiance complaints? Who would define what a nuisance
complaint is?

Should this new fairness doctrine cover internet radio, satellite radio,
satellite TV, and cable TV?

2. The audience has absolutely no input over what is heard on the airwaves
(with very limited exceptions). If you try to argue that broadcasters are
responding to market demands then the I.Q. factor in this country has
indeed fallen to the low double or even single digit range.

Yeah, people listen to what they want to listen to. I have no idea if the
IQ factor is up or down. I am sure people would be stupid to be listening
to things they don't want to listen to.

I am also sure there has never been as much bad radio as there is now.
There has never been as much radio as there is now. There are more
stations broadcasting more hours than ever before. Too bad. As a radio
hobbyist, I miss the days of easy coast to coast dx'ing.

I dislike most of the stuff on the radio. So what? There's still plenty to
listen to. Nobody makes me listen to Limbaigh, and I don't. I can't stand
Sport Babble but I don't have to. Mostly I listen to a local FM Jazz
station and US domestic shortwave radio. For me, radio has never been more
entertaining. There are also some local Spanish and Polish language AM
stations here with good music. Very little of this was around 30 years ago.

3. No, what I would really like to see is an ownership cap of seven to a
dozen stations per entity with no cross ownership. Then there might
actually be some creative programming and diversity - you know, like there
was for the first 75 years or so..

When was there more radio diversity? When there were three of four radio
networks, each playing their own similiar so-so comedies or dramas? When
each of the top 40 stations in the US were playing "Muskrat Love"? The
radio industry is like the rest of the entertainment industry. As soon as
somebody comes up with an idea which grabs a part of the audience, that idea
gets reused over and over in each market.

.. Imagine! stations with different
studios, different personnel, maybe even different program directors! Then
they wouldn't sell for over inflated amounts and we wouldn't get stripped
down, dumbed down voice-tracked generic dog-vomit programming!
4. Radio listenership is down by 15-20%. There's a reason for that

If that's true, then the problem will fix itself. These overpriced radio
stations will soon go for giveaway prices. You'll buy a radio station and
so will I. I will realize that your programming ideas are so good, I'll
copy them all!!

Frank Dresser