Old November 2nd 04, 08:30 PM
Bob Haberkost

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

"Andy Ludlum" wrote in message
I think this is a pretty fair look at the competing claims of who's first:

a.. KDKA, Pittsburgh. Dr. Frank Conrad conducted the experimental work
that led to the establishment of KDKA, which made its formal debut on
November 2, 1920. Conrad was apparently among the first to use the term
"broadcast" to describe a radio service.

World's first licensed station was in Argentina, predating KDKA by several
months.

But David....since 8XK goes several years further back, wouldn't that (in conjunction
with the list previously provided) make that line somewhat harder to determine? Does
the Argentine station in question meet the criteria that the "first" station also be
one in continuous scheduled operation since? And does it all really matter,
considering that Fessenden proved that there was an audience out there, and a method
to transmit audio, 14 years prior to all of it? (Radio is a Canadian invention, by
the way. So's satellite radio...Sirius was launched, under a different name, by a
Canadian, and it's only with delays that me-too XM-Radio got the head start in
delivering service).