Old November 20th 04, 10:38 PM
R J Carpenter

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In article , Higgins

wrote:
I'm not terribly interested in a homebrew solution.

Why not? A longwire antenna will beat any of the active antennas hands

down.
Problem is that it may be so good that you'll find yourself needing a more
selective radio.

If the friend lives in Montgomery Village, Gaithersburg, outdoor antennas
are prohibited, so it would have to be a stealth one. All of the
subdivisions started in Montgomery County in the past 45 years forbid
antennas, to the best of my knowledge.

That said, I'd certainly try some sort of wire antenna even indoors or
temporarily outdoors before going the Terk/etc route.

Is the friend in an apartment? Does it have a balcony? If in a house, does
it have a deck, a wooden fence, even a short one? What sort of "indoor"
receiver does the friend have?