Old November 22nd 04, 03:31 PM
Art Clemons

Mike Terry wrote:

Will dx become more interesting as the power blasters close down in
favour of internet and satellite?

Things could be getting exciting for dxers.

I suggest that without the big name broadcasters to draw folks to
broadcasting, there will be lesser listenership and less reason for dx
stations to remain on the air. Broadcasting is expensive as all
getout, especially for poor countries. The justification for reaching
listeners outside said poor country is slowly fading away and with the
internet, cd distribution and the like, the need to listen to shortwave
for music and entertainment is slowly fading away too.

I'ld love to see SW broadcasting remain, I'm not always near an internet
connection and all too many of the SW broadcasters I used to regularly
listen to, now have skimpy or no signals with me using better receivers
than I even dreamed about when I first started listening years ago. I
just don't see it continuing for long.