Old November 23rd 04, 07:03 AM
Scott Dorsey

In article , DaveSproul wrote:
for receiving and transmitting. I had a 40M dipole with trap coils
between my balcony and two adjacent buildings even, once.

Hey Scott, do you know a place where I could get simple instructions for an AM
loop antenna for a modulation monitor? I have a surplus TFT 713 and would love
to use it to pick up 630 WMAL at home. Belar wants $345 for one of their
circular antennas but I'm sure I could build one cheaply with some PVC, wire
and some caps, right?

The Toys for Tots should be fine with just a long wire attached to the
input. The loop antenna will have lower gain but higher directionality.
The real deal with the loop antenna, though, is that the gain on it is
calibrated and you're paying for the accurate calibration of a measurement
device. You don't want a measurement device, you just want as much gain
as you can get.

Dave Sproul, Bethesda. MD

Since Hardin and Weaver are gone, there's no reason to listen to WMAL. But I am
up in your neck of the woods on a monthly basis if you want to bring it over
and try it with a wire.
--scott