Old November 24th 04, 05:51 PM
Steve

Telamon wrote in message

It is an old refrain, and I don't understand it. If you ask every
SWLer why they listen to news via shortwave, how many of them would
say, "Because it's not available over the internet"? Few if any, I
suspect. People listen to the news via shortwave because they like
listening to shortwave and like the news services that shortwave makes
available. Period.

I'd also like to point out that I returned to shortwave listening
after being away from it for many years. Why did I return? Because of
shortwave related information that I came across ON THE INTERNET! And
indeed, it seems to me that the internet could be the best thing that
ever happened to ham radio and SWLing. We, and the organizations that
represent us, just have to USE the internet to educate people about
our fascinating hobbies. If you put the information out there, people
will be drawn to it. That's just the way it is.

It seems to me that the internet could be precisely the thing that
saves SWLing!

Steve