Old November 24th 04, 05:51 PM
Scott Dorsey

Steve Sobol wrote:
Christopher C. Stacy wrote:
Al Quaglieri writes:

1. Internet over power lines (BPL) is a stillborn technology

It's sort of the ISDN of radio.

Meaning what, that it will have a small niche market? I doubt it. ISDN actually
had broad appeal back in the days before DSL and cablemodems - I used it for a
year or two myself. It was still used widely in Europe for some time after DSL
and cable became commonplace here. BPL won't be that popular. BPL probably
won't even manage the small niche that I believe you're referring to. It's just
too late in the game.

In Europe, ISDN came in early, was adopted very quickly, and was very
reasonably-priced compared with the alternatives. In the US, the pricing
schemes were outrageously expensive and most of the telcos either did not
have it available or didn't even know what it was. As late as five years
ago, I went around with GTE for two months trying to get an ISDN line for
a local voiceover studio.

In the US, ISDN was a flop because it was too expensive, too slow, and too
late to market. If it had become available as quickly as it had in Europe
and as universally, it would have been very popular. But it wasn't.

I gather these are the issues with BPL... it's not anything that you can't
get better from other services that have been in place longer.
--scott