Old November 25th 04, 09:04 AM
R J Carpenter

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in
message ...

I've my doubts the Internet will be a real

viable replacement for all
shortwave anytime in the near future.

For those broadcasts intended to reach a

country's citizens abroad, yes,
the Internet is probably a more economic

solution. Likewise, for those
intended to reach an audience of foreigners in a

developed country.

SNIP

Computers may be cheap, but they're still a LOT

more expensive than a
cheap radio. In isolated areas a reliable

Internet connection with
adequate bandwidth might be an even bigger

problem. (heck, at my
location - within 30 miles of Nashville -

internet audio is problematic
due to my connection) I don't think the

Internet will in the near
future replace shortwave for reaching audiences

in sparsely-populated
and poor countries.

But how about WorldSpace satellite radio? They
have a couple of dozen channels with coverage of
Africa and Asia and much of Europe. They even
carry different services on the various spot beams
from a single satellite. I gather they rent some
space to national broadcasters. Their receivers
aren't dirt cheap, but well within the means of
many people in the third world. I gather that they
are NOT doing well financially, however. They have
a web site www.worldspace.com . There was some
initial relationship between them and XM, but
WorldSpace's partial foreign ownership killed that
from what I heard..

bob w3otc