Old November 26th 04, 04:18 PM
Steve Sobol

Rich Wood wrote:

So, record companies should produce songs for individual communities
and forego mass markets?

I'd much rather see the majors continue to mass-produce, and the local radio
stations offer a little better focus on local indie artists from time to time.
Nine Inch Nails, formed by Trent Reznor, sounds incredible, but Reznor moved to
my hometown from Mercer, PA to try to break into the business, and was
spectacularly unsuccessful. I understand he hates Cleveland as a result, and
given the abject lack of ANY kind of airplay he got from ANY of the commercial
stations in town, I can't blame him for being angry.

I'm not saying indie rock is all the big stations should play, but it would be
nice if more of them made an effort to help break new talent from time to time.
Reznor had a sound that probably would have worked on WMMS (the local
album-rock station back then), but did he get into the rotation there, ever?
Ha. I never heard him on 'MMS. Not once. I heard more buzz from people I talked
to working near a local college campus than I heard anywhere else, even a
couple years later when the local Top-40 station flipped to "modern rock". (A
few years later, however, the modern rock's station airplay of "Ballad of Peter
Pumpkinhead" by XTC prompted WMMS to play the song too, which was rather
amusing because I never figured I'd hear XTC on the radio at all.)

stinking phony bubble gum machine. In New York, my station was a Radio
& Records reporting station. That should have been worth something -
maybe at least a political-type junket to a warm, hooker-filled
resort.

Hey, you want to go to the Caribbean? Manhattan is only a few mintues away from
Jamaica, right? (Oh, wait, that Jamaica isn't in the Caribbean...)

My car's battery went dead not long ago. I had to reset 2 clocks, a
terrestrial radio's 18 per band station presets, 18 XM presets and 20
SIRIUS presets.

Hey, I solve that problem by only listening to FM :P

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /