Old November 26th 04, 10:56 PM
Larry Weil

"R J Carpenter" wrote in news:co477k$som$1
@xuxa.iecc.com:

But how about WorldSpace satellite radio? They
have a couple of dozen channels with coverage of
Africa and Asia and much of Europe. They even
carry different services on the various spot beams
from a single satellite. I gather they rent some
space to national broadcasters. Their receivers
aren't dirt cheap, but well within the means of
many people in the third world. I gather that they
are NOT doing well financially, however. They have
a web site www.worldspace.com . There was some
initial relationship between them and XM, but
WorldSpace's partial foreign ownership killed that
from what I heard..

I don't believe you can "see" the Worldspace satellites from North
America, and even if you could, it's probably impossible to get one
activated unless you have a european address.

I realize the reception quality on satellite radio is much better than
that on shortwave, but is replacing a free service with a subscription
service really a sensible way to go (unless you own stock in the
satellite company!)?

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH