Old December 18th 04, 06:00 PM
Don

On 1 Sep 2004 18:30:18 GMT, Charles Hobbs
wrote:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/virgin..._virgin31.html

"Radio newscasts used to use as a background sound effect a clattering
wire machine. But news wires have been fed to newsrooms by computers for
more than two decades (no clanging bells to alert editors to a
bulletin). People might still hear that sound and associate it with a
newscast without really knowing why -- but for how much longer? "

When a friend and I were 14, we built a little 100mw station for our
town. There was no station in the entire county, it was like
Mayberry. We went to a station in a neighboring town with his
brand-new cassette recorder ($100). We stuck it in the insulated
closet where they had the newswire and let the sucker run for around
20 or 30 minutes.

Then, when we went on the air of our 100mw station, reading the news
from the local paper, we played our "newswire" in the background.
Sounded pretty real if you ask me.

D*
www.beautifulradio.com
Easy Listening For the Internet Generation

"We ain't gone be po no mo."
- - Pastor Greg Powe, Atlanta