Old December 29th 04, 06:04 AM
Blue Cat

"Peter H." wrote in message

Since many people believe the Cuban high power operation is in retaliation

for
the US' support of Radio and TV Marti, they should write their congressmen

and
suggest the interference might go away if Radio/TV Marti went away.

Lessee ...

Cuba was a signatory of NARBA (but later abrogated that treaty).

NARBA gave the United States 25 (count 'em) Class I-A clears, Mexco and

Canada
each 6 Class I-A clears, the Bahamas one Class I-A clear (and a U.S. Class

I-B
priority on that frequency), and Cuba one Class I-A clear (and a U.S.

Class I-B
priority on that frequency).

All of this with no permissible foreign operations on any U.S. Class I-A

clear
with the exception of 830 and 1030 to Mexico (limited to 5 kW ND, and

limited
to Mexico, DF), for which the U.S. got 800 and 900 (limited to 5 kW ND,

and
limited to Alaska) plus 1050 and 1220 (limited to 50 kW DA-1, protecting

the
entire U.S.-Mexican border, and limited to New York City and Cleveland,
respectively).

The U.S. got many additional Class I-B clears, while Canada and Mexico got

few Class I-B clears, whereas neither the Bahamas nor Cuba got any Class

I-B
clears at all.

In view of this apparent disparity, what do you think the reaction of

Castro
would, or should be?

And, all of this goes way back to 1939 ... long before Radio Marti.

NARBA is a moot point now. There are "gentlemen's agreements" allowing I-B
stations in Canada and Mexico on U. S. I-A channels. The Bahamas operates a
I-B on 810 khz, a U. S. I-B clear, in addition to its I-A clear on 1540 khz.
(These are just a few examples). The question is whether there should be a
new NARBA, or whether the gentlemen's agreements continue as they are.

In this environment, Cuba would have all the clear channel frequencies it
would need. Therefore, what is happening with WQAM, is that the Cuban
station is not directional. However, in the case of WQAM, the jamming is not
deliberate because WQAM does not broadcast in Spanish. The deliberate
jamming is aimed at high power Miami area stations on 670, 710, and 1140 Khz
broadcasting in Spanish, and also Radio Marti.