Old January 4th 05, 10:19 PM
Jim

Back to the old call! I remember WCKY when it played country music back in
the '50s.

So can I, as a kid listening in North Carolina to Nelson King and Don Davis
opening at 8 o'clock the WCKY 4-hour nightly jamboree.

Curiously, they preceeded it at 7 with an hour of Vienese "Waltz Time." Not
exactly a natural lead-in to 4 hours of country music.

Speaking of big signals and country (and preacher) programming, when I was
an Air Force jet basic flight instructor at Laredo AFB in the late 1950's,
my most trusted LF navigational aid for night flying the black West Texas
skies was the 150 or 200 KW's (or whatever) of XERF...just across the Rio
Grande from Del Rio. Even flying from Laredo, the LF ADF bearing was useful
to keep you from wandering too deeply into Mexico or to far north up the
river.

And my favorite night flying XERF program? "Sister Loretta Blankenship and
the Prisoner's Bible Hour".