Old March 11th 04, 08:23 PM
Jimmy

"Toni - EA3FYA" wrote in message
Hi,

For various reasons I am considering building a trapped dipole
without traps. Well, not really. I would use pneumatical
(compressed-air) switches in place of the traps.

What I don't know is if the switches rated for 16A 250V AC will
stand the voltage at the edge of the antenna when open. Power
would be 100W, but I wouldn't mind reducing to 50W or even 25W if
that would make the switches work. Of course I would always
operate the switches without RF on the antenna. I know normal
voltages an antenna edges are much higher, but I also think that
250V working voltage probably means much higher isolation
voltage. Just don't know how much more.

Thanks for answers / ideas.

Toni - EA3FYA

I would think the switch should work well as lonfg as you do not transmit
while opening a switch. Most switches are rated for opening under full load.
If you rate the same swich for opening under no load it can be rated at
several times its normal rating. I experimented with something similar to
what you are doing with smaller relays and it worked fine. There were some
inherent problems usuing relays but your idea of using pneumatic switches
would over come all the problems I had..