Old July 20th 03, 06:10 AM
Jim Hampton

Sorry, Doc. Frank's reply is exactly correct. As long as the two radio
horizons touch or intersect, communications will be established (assuming,
of course, that the receivers work properly, the transmitters work properly,
and the antennas work properly). My former neighbor now lives in
Wellsville, some 80 miles away (110 or so by car) and can hear me just fine
on the local repeater. Her elevation is around 2200 feet, which translates
to a radio horizon of roughly 66 miles. One has to add the radio range of
the repeater (which, incidentally, is located in the *opposite* direction
from her) - the elevation is something like 500 feet (31 miles to radio
horizon).

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

"'Doc" wrote in message ...

Jim,
In your example about range, the range wouldn't
be 6 miles, it would 3 miles. The radius of the
coverage area has to overlap the transmitter/receiver.
So, if two radios each have a range of 3 miles that
does not mean the total range between radios is 6 miles.
'Doc

---