Old July 20th 03, 06:42 AM
Jim Hampton

Doc,

I've yakked with another handheld user. He was about 5 miles from the
repeater; I was around 100 miles from the repeater and was running 3.5 watts
to the handheld. Oh, I happened to be on the 21st or 22nd floor of a
high-rise

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim
ps - not sure how far Massena is from Rochester, but it ain't close!

"'Doc" wrote in message ...
I didn't get 'Sparky's post, but...

Sparky,
You're right, and you're wrong. Besides the curvature of
the earth you also have to remember that the output power of
the transmitter also controls the distance at which the signal
can be heard. The signal has to have a certain minimum strength
to be heard at all. At UHF, 'line of sight' isn't the only
range limitation, but it is one of them...
'Doc

---