Old August 6th 03, 08:53 AM
ketalar

- Tnx fer the answer.
As I said earlier I'm in a concrete building facing very close other ones : It is as if I am down a well...
Another problem is the hash generated by the nearby computer/screen : The s-meter does not tell all the truth. That's why I attached an external whip to the window : less noise, and why I want to use the window frame...
The xmitter, powerfull, is only two miles away but hidden by two hills : really, I am in a well !
More complicated, and hard to understand : I get a far better signal when rain is falling.

So far, I have never bought any antenna, only wire. (In another location, I had previously a nice setup on top-band as reported in RadCom abt 10 yrs ago).
I agree with you about amplified antennas.
Best regards,

Le Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:23:31 -0400, WB3FUP (Mike Hall) a écrit:

And you put it up as an inverted v? Concrete walls does not absorb nearly
as much RF as one might think. If you are between concrete walls what do
you look at through your window. In more than 20 years I have found more
people that are convinced that they need to spend more money for an
antenna. I calculated the length necessary, and cut one myself to be used
in my cellar. I was amazed to see that what I had invested an hour in
constructing was identical to what I could have purchased for $4.00. (At
the time I had people lined up to pay me $50. to $100 an hour for my tax
preparation and planning expertise.) Building the antenna was not the
smartest use of my resources at the time. In fact my home rolled one did
not even look as good.

How far away are the stations you want to receive? If they are anything
like local, within 50 miles the antenna should work fine. Not the "T's"
you receive when you buy a receiver. The folded dipole the SKU of which is
below. I assumed you knew what I meant by Inverted V. The center of the
antenna is higher, or lower, than the ends. The ends include an angle of
between 90 and 150 degrees. (45 to 75 degrees off of the transmission line)
This makes the antenna omni-directional and it will work great.

But don't believe me. Continue to fight with the window frame, or go and
spend $40 to $60 on the amplified antennas that are sold, and that DO NOT
WORK.

--
A personne, sauf Ã* ceux qui y prendront plaisir (Franz Schubert, 1797-1828)