Old July 22nd 03, 09:47 PM
Scott Unit 69

see him fix up the TRC-451 I've got using that

book. He'd have to buy the radio from me first,
'cause it won't be usable when I get it back!!!

"TRC" as in "Radio Shack"?
Hmm...I have been under the impression the older rat shacks models are
some of the easiest to tune, mod, peak, repair,,,whatever...perhaps I'm
just lucky and my techs are all super techs.

The TRC-451 is a Cobra 146 in a different package.

Let's see, no AM modulation, VR10 makes no

difference.

Ahh,.... it appears you are trying to RE-fix a radio where someone has
already been inside......I would guess this would be very different as
opposed to going into a stock virgin radio.

This and a broken Lafayette LMS-40 were picked up broken for $10
my years ago. The Lafayette is a 9.5. The TRC is weathered
badly enough for green corrosion to show on the front. A few screws
had to be drilled out when I got it. When I get the bugs out of it
(someday, it's not too important to me), I'll take it to the local
tech that fixes anything (State Police radio tech) for a complete
factory alignment. It's not worth his going rate to fix it. Besides,
I need that experience!!!

LIKE the DX,,,LOVE the DX on 11 meter, and the only reason some are into
cb is for HF DX. Talking everyday with the help of repeaters quickly
takes the fun out of long distance communications, for many HF DX
enthusiasts, and many simply do not give a damn about hammie radio.
CBers, collectively, do not tend to mention or concern themselves with
hammie radio. Wonder why the opposite doesn't hold true? Nevertheless,
it's good you found a medium of communication that lends you what you
have been missing on cb. For many others, cb is it,,,there is no
interest in hammie radio. Some intellectually-challenged folks have a
problem with this and feel since one is not interested in hammie radio,
one is somehow "beneath" those who who are. THAT'S really gonna add to
the hammie numbers....can't help but howl at those who share that view.

Skip will die down, some year. My CB will get more use. Right now,
it's pretty useless for local talking. Skip has gotten boring over
the past 26 years. Same noise, different screamer. :

Depending on the TRC unit you own, either 22 or 39 other channels are
available. Between this and a beam, there are many avenues of escape.
When the aggravation factor sets in concerning what one hears on the
air, no matter what service one uses, it's time to shut it off.

The only 23 channel radio I have is a Regency Range Gain. Mid 60's
tube model, crystal synth mixing. It's about a 6 or 7. Original mike!

I turn my CB on when I'm out. It only takes a minute before some
Mexican or trucker or bleedover turns my receive to trash. CLICK.
I try again 10 or 20 minutes later. Repeat cycle, ad nausium,

BTW, if I change channel, how will we find each other besides
2 meter simplex?