Old July 25th 03, 05:37 PM
Alun Palmer

Dwight Stewart wrote in
:

"Keith" wrote:

Dwight, There is no way for anyone to know if
a tech license has passed a morse code test
and all techs have voice privileges for 28.3-
28.5 MHz. What is the FCC going to do run
around and check every tech license holder?
Besides would you rather give up ten meters to truckers and CBers?

I would not do what you're seeking even if there was absolutely no
chance
at all for the FCC to catch me. When I joined the Amateur Radio
community, I made a commitment to abide by the rules and regulations
associated with it. That commitment is not based on the FCC's
enforcement ability, but my own sense of what is good for this
community. I personally benefit from a community that has an equal
commitment to abide by the rules and regulations. I therefore would not
do anything to upset that situation.

I suspect you will eventually find that most other Technician license
holders have a similar commitment to abide by the rules and regulation.

By the way, your statement that "all techs have voice privileges for
28.3-28.5 MHz" is simply not true - only a Technician Plus license
holder (a Tech who has also passed the 5wpm code test) is allowed to
operate on those frequencies.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

s97.301(e) reads:

For a station having a control operator who has been
granted an operator license of Novice Class or Technician
Class and who has received credit for proficiency in
telegraphy in accordance with the international
requirements.

(followed by frequency table)

The 'international requirements' (ITU-R s25.5) now read:

Administrations shall determine whether or not a person seeking a licence
to operate an amateur station shall demonstrate the ability to send and
receive texts in Morse code signals.

There is no international requirement for proficiency in telegraphy, so
arguably any Tech could operate on all the frequencies listed in the
table. Be prepared to argue it in court, though!