Old August 22nd 03, 06:18 PM
Dave Hall

Jim Hampton wrote:

Kind of sad, actually. I've been accused of aiding the lawless.

Not aiding. Just being complicit toward those who promote blatently
illegal activities. By not speaking out against it, you are basically
condoning it.

It just
struck me what has changed. Amateur radio used to be nothing but fun.

It still is. You just have to find the right people.

What HAS changed is the attitude of society in general, which radio
merely mirrors, which is a general disrespect for rules. Many people
seem to feel that rules are "optional" and those who call attention to
their infractions are "spoiling their fun".

No flames and no arguing about code vs no code vs cbers.

No, back then it was incentive licensing.

When I went to join
an amateur radio club in Great Lakes right after boot camp in the Navy, I
was really surprised to find a few dour-faced guys handing me a list of
'rules' to memorize (bear in mind that I had my 1st class radiotelephone,
2nd class radiotelegraph, radar endorsement, and amateur extra class license
back in 1967). I said I'd think it over.

Some people take authoritarianism to the extreme. But I'd bet you
wouldn't willfully violate the FCC operating rules back then.

On the way back to the barracks,
I saw a sign which simply said "73" with an arrow pointing to the back of a
building. What the ... ??? a barbeque with beer and a lot of women going
on. They made me feel welcome. Problem was, you needed a license (cb was
licensed back then). No problem, they'd help with the paperwork. Well, I
asked if this would do - and I pulled out my 1st class radiotelephone
license. Instant membership plus 3 rigs to fix.

Ah, the stereotypical myth. Hams are a bunch of "sticks in the mud", who
are serious and law abiding. CBers, are a bunch of fun loving people,
who throw caution (and the rules) to the wind. Which group would you
rather be a part of? If we are now going to base our morality by the
amount of "fun" we have, then I really hope it doesn't really become fun
to shoot people randomly.

The rigs got fixed, and
beers kept being placed into my hand. What a time!

It was a fun time. But most people become more responsible when they get
older. I recall my youthful radio experiences quite fondly, even though
I was no boy scout. The thing is that now I realize that many of those
activities were irresponsible and not legal, fun not withstanding.

If both cb and amateur
radio could find a way to go back to the times when fun was had and no one
had the time to argue.

How much "fun" do CBers have when they are being overpowered by other
"CBers", who's idea of "fun" is running excessive power? The standard
answer from the lawless set, is to say; "turn it to the left, if you
can't deal with it". The point is that these "fun" people, through their
selfish and inconsiderate actions, are ruining the fun of others, who
are at least trying to follow the intent of the rules. The rules were
created so that everyone has a fair chance at equal access. Those who
ignore the rules are taking away from those who are. In my book, that's
being selfish and inconsiderate. Are these the people you want to be
included with?

If it irritates some of the folks that some hams
come here to flame, go over to some of the amateur newsgroups. They're busy
flaming each other! Hey, guys, wake up and smell the coffee!

Sometimes when you see changes occuring, which are not in the best
direction of the hobby, and of society itself, you tend to get defensive
when others flaunt their newfound "fun" in your face, and make it seem
like YOU have the problem, when you try to defend the concepts of
responsibility, consideration, and just plain good manners.

Can't we all just have fun and leave the police business to those charged
with doing that?

Those charged with enforcement are way overwhelmed to make much of a
dent in these illegal activities. This fact is what enables the
continued activities to continue. Most of these scofflaws would crawl
under a rock, if there was a good chance that they'de be caught and
punished harshly for their brand of "fun".

Just a thought, but I've put on my asbestos underwear on just in case )

You won't need it from me, although you might want to think about who it
is that you're defending, even subtlely.

It's a sure bet that the king of the punch clowns will unleash a barrage
of untruths, ad-hominem insults and other groundless APD inspired
nonsense in response to my response to you, much like a child has a
temper tantrum. Is this the kind of guy you'd want as a friend?

Dave
"Sandbagger"